Thursday, January 17, 2013

Attending Baby Mattair's Baptism

Today is 26th Dec! In some countries, especially US and Australia or NZ, huge sales will take place. However, in the european countries, the mega sales will only take place some time in the middle of Jan. I'm not a huge shopper.... but in such sales, it would be good to get some stuffs... for me? i want to get some good thermal wear or snow boots. anyway i'll wait till then and check out the shops in CPH.

in Italy, apparently 26th Dec is one of the saints day (oops... i forgot which saint even though Emanuel told me). So today we will 1st go to the catholic church that we went yesterday to attend the baptism of baby Mattair. In Italy, most people get baptised when they are still a baby. And baby Mattair is 4months at the time of his baptism. Its my 1st time attending someone's baptism. So its pretty interesting to me. I was surprised that there were 2 priests conducting the ceremony. 1 young priest (probably around my age) and 1 old priest. It was at the end of the ceremony that the older priest mentioned that it was the 1st ceremony that was conducted by the young priest! it was ok i guess... hahaha... coz i did not understand the content as everything was conducted in Italian. During the ceremony, baby Mattair had his neck (or head) dripped with the holy water. I must say baby Mattair is a very peaceful & quiet baby. Coz for most babies, they would had wailed non stop or struggled. But not baby Mattair. He was quiet throughout the ceremony... even when the cold holy water touched him.

After the ceremony, I was introduced to the relatives and friends of the Muraca family. A number of them I've seen during the Christmas eve dinner. Whilst there were also many new faces I've never seen before. Coz apparently they were Titziana's relatives. We then had a short drive to the Calabria hills where we were supposed to have the baptism lunch!
The sea in front of the restaurant. Rows and rows of olive trees in the fields

After talking to Francesca & Emanuel, I got to know that baptism is a very huge and important ceremony for the Italian Roman catholics! Its sort of like the person will be accepted and embraced by the church and God. I must say for pretty similar for us Chinese (although for us its not a religious event but every baby will go through), when the baby is 1month old, there will be some sort of big celebration. However for us, the couple whose baby has reached 1month will give lunches, or distribute cakes to friends, relatives and colleagues and in return these pple will give red packets. Anyway we headed to a restaurant 'Le Tirena' (I hope i spelt it correctly) which is owned by Emanuel's extended family.
The building where the baptism lunch was held. Restaurant: Le Tirena
that's Francesca and the blue Mediterrenean sea
I must say, this restaurant is situated in a very nice location as the vistors, patroners are able to see the sea in the far distance and in the back are the Calabria hills! Emanuel told me that his family has intention to make this place not just as a restaurant but also a bed and breakfast.... in fact works were in place when we were there.... the upper levels were converted to rooms for vacationers to stay.

The view surrounding the building was fantastic..... Emanuel and his dad kept telling me that the land surrounding the restaurant belongs to the Muraca family! I must say the area of the land was really huge! there were lots of olive trees, mandarin oranges trees etc. I was awed by all these.... and they told me that its common for families to own land! hahhaa... to the Italians its no big deal owning pieces, acres of land. For me its just awesome.... coz we can't own pieces of land in Singapore unless you're filthy rich... even if you're filthy righ you can't own the land coz land is scarce in S'pore.

I sat beside Emanuel's uncle (Fortunato's father) whom I met at the Christmas eve dinner. Although he could not speak english and I could not speak Italian, with some hand gestures we were able to talk and understand each other a little... hahhaha.... and I showed him pictures of Singapore. (thank goodness I had the wisdom of not deleting some of the photos I took in Aug when I visted gardens by the bay and marina bay sands with my parents and also the skyline of s'pore). in fact most of the family members of Emanuel's do not know about s'pore... hahhaa.... so these past few days... they know more of s'pore than before.... about S'pore's strict govt, the clean and green environment and the people, the languages and culture we have. They were impressed with s'pore... but at the same time shocked at the strict govt that we've got and the fast-paced society of ours.... hahaha... I was telling them if the govt laws are not strict.... then we would not have been labelled as the 'least corrupted country' nor will the country be clean and free of pee smell at the train stations nor will we be placed as one of the most modernised and highly advanced countries in the world. I also got to talk to 1 of Titziana's relative. He was able to speak in pretty good english coz this old man had lived in Australia for close to 20yrs there (hope i did remember its 20 yrs and not 30yrs)

I thought the baptism lunch would be something simple... like you have 1 starter, 1 main course followed by dessert. But I was wrong again! As usual there was lots of food! And to me, it was as if I was treated to top restaurant standard! Coz we had the full set of meal (Italian standard). When my antipasi was placed in front of me i was awed, coz it was a huge plate full of one of the best and freshest seafood that I've eaten in my life.
My plate of antipasti. its full of super fresh seafood
inside the restaurant. all the people were either talking or eating

followed by the other courses... they were just absolutely fantastic! Also by now, I used to drinking wine for lunch and dinner everyday.... hahaha.... seriously i've been having drinks for dinner and lunch ever since i arrived in calabria on 23rd. I must say the Italians are proud of their food and wine.... and 1 of my friends envied me for having this opportunity to travel to Calabria. Coz Calabria is very well known for their fantastic food (especially seafood) and wine! I must say I'm really really fortunate indeed to have this opportunity to travel here and join francesca and her family in the celebrations!

 In between the dishes, there was a long wait... so during this time I also checked out the scenery that was surrounding the building. Today I got to view one of the nicest sunsets..... I must say this trip to Italy, I've been treated to lots of wonderful sights.... from ancient monuments to modernised buildings, nature sights etc. Just amazing! Anyway back to the sunset, I could view Mt. Etna in the dusk light! I managed to take some photos... but they did not turn out as beautiful as when i viewed it with my own eyes.
Mt. Etna busking in the dusk light
Me & a guy who was working at the restaurant.... some of the italians joked with me that his outlook is a typical Italian man... hahaha....(taken at the building's rooftop)

soon it was time to cut the batism cake. I must say the baker or cake artist really outdone him/her-self. coz the cake was designed as a baby's rocker bed! It was really nice.... And almost all the guests are susposed to give gifts. For Francesca and Emanuel they wanted to give money and also a note to congratulate Mattair. They asked me to write something in English! hahaha... I was surprised... coz they may not understand and I did not know what to write.... But in the end we managed to construct some congratulatory greetings for Baby Mattair!
Luigi and his family. Titziana is carrying baby Mattair. The rocker contains the cake!
Photo taking with Luigi's family
After the cake cutting and opening the presents.... the guests departed from the restaurant and left some who wanted to play an Italian card game. hahaha... apparently in italy, during the Christmas season, families or friends will play card games and money (small amount) are involved. So Emanule taught me this card game that they were playing... I must say its pretty interesting....
The players seated at the table playing the Italian card game
My 2 new friends made at the baptism lunch. (from left: me, Noemi, Anna)

After the card game, we descended the hill back to Francesca and Emanuel's place. Tomorrow we'll be visiting the mosy southern-most of italy and a town in Sicily! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment